Wednesday, April 01, 2009

We will miss our Belle

Well, I guess I'm ready to write about this. We had to say goodbye to our precious baby girl Belle yesterday. She's been sick for a while now...she was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago. She gets better and then gets sick again and this was one of those times. She wasn't eating and started throwing up on Monday night. The vet said she was showing signs of both Addison's and Cushing's diseases...complications from diabetes. Those diseases are hard (and expensive) to regulate and she wouldn't have gotten better. She's had a hard time walking lately and just hasn't been herself in about a month. I just couldn't bear to watch her suffer anymore knowing I was only prolonging the inevitable. So I made the decision to put her to sleep yesterday after taking her to the vet and hearing all that. It absolutely broke my heart and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make the decision, but it was better for her. So now for the first time in almost 9 years, I'll be without my very best friend :( She was a wonderful companion and family member. Drew loved her so much. He gave her a kiss every morning before school and every night before he went to bed. I'm dreading telling him the news, but he hasn't asked about her yet, so we're putting it off. Luckily he's only 2, so it won't be as difficult for him.





A couple of my favorite memories of Belle:
*She used to sleep on the pillow on the other side of the bed and when my sister would come visit, she would sleep on Hannah's head.
*She would make these funny little faces where her upper lip would get tucked up on her teeth and she would look like Elvis

*She was the best snuggler. She wanted to sleep right up against me every night and she would get so warm and cuddly
*She barked at the T.V. all the time. She barked at animals, little kids, any loud noises...it was so funny at first...but slowly go annoyingly cute!
*She would get so excited when my parents, brother, or sister came into our house. She would run around in circles doing this funny little excited bark.
*She loved Cooper when he lived with us. They were adorable...he would grab her by the scruff of her neck and pull her around.
*She gave the best kisses (lickles). She loved to kiss Drew the most and he thought it was so funny. He would be lying on the couch and she would start licking his feet or hands. He would just laugh and laugh.
*She was always so good with Drew...from the very beginning she loved him and protected him. He has never flinched when she barks. I think it was because before he was born...she laid on my lap whenever I was sitting or lying down. It was like he was as used to her voice as mine and Brian's.
*She was my little black ball of joy. She was there for me during one of the hardest break-ups I've been through and she was there when I met and married the love of my life. Brian had to pass the dog test when he met me because she was #1 and if she didn't like him...he was out! He of course passed with flying colors.

Belle,
you were such a wonderful dog...member of the family. We all loved you so much and hope you are having a wonderful time in Heaven. Thanks for all the good memories and unconditional love.

2 comments:

Corbin said...

Again I am so sorry about Belle! I still miss Rosa and she has been gone almost 5 years! DOgs are such a wonderful part of life!!!!

Adalynn said...

Oh Martha! I am so sorry. I can't imagine the void in your lives. Bigby will be 9 this year; he is definitely showing his age. I am sure this has been hard for you guys!